Never again will I pay $100, $75 or even $50 a month for cell phone service.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ve probably seen my articles about Xfinity Mobile, the new wireless service from Comcast that runs on Verizon’s network.
Available only to Xfinity internet customers, there are two monthly data options with Xfinity Mobile:
- $45 per line for unlimited data
- $12 per GB
Comcast’s Xfinity Mobile: My cell phone bill was $0 this past month
Since September 2017, I’ve paid $12/month before taxes and fees most of the time by connecting to Xfinity’s Wi-Fi hotspots (there are 18 million of them) to keep data usage below 1 GB. I did end up paying for 2 GB of data in November when my bill was $24 before taxes and fees.
What many people don’t realize about Xfinity Mobile is that you can potentially pay $0 per month because 100 MB of data comes with the plan — no extra charge.
I wanted to see if it was possible to use less than 100 MB of data, so I turned off mobile data on my Samsung Galaxy S8 for the month of February. As you can see in the picture below, I was successful — my cell phone bill was $0!
This really wasn’t difficult to achieve. I used my phone all the time at home and work when I was connected to Wi-Fi, but I stayed off Facebook, Twitter and the internet while away from home. I also downloaded maps with Google Maps before I left the house to avoid having to use data for navigation.
Going forward, I don’t plan to set a goal of paying $0 for cell phone service every month, but I wanted to share this story because I think this service is great for people who don’t use a lot of data, particularly seniors. I immediately thought of my grandmother who only uses her smartphone to make calls and send text messages.
If Xfinity Mobile isn’t for you, I totally get it. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the service and love that it uses Verizon’s network— which is consistently ranked #1 in the nation.
Are you happy with your wireless service? Tell me who you’re with and how much you pay!
Michael Saves recommends:
- Personal Capital: Create a budget and track your net worth using this free website and app. Click here for a $20 sign-up bonus.
- Trim: Have this digital assistant negotiate a lower cable and internet bill for you! Details here.
- Ibotta: The easiest way to get cash back for grocery store purchases! Get a $10 welcome bonus with my referral link.
- TopCashBack: Start your online shopping here to receive discounts at major retailers.
- Raise: Buy discounted gift cards for your favorite stores! Start with this $5 welcome bonus.